Main electrochemical storage research topics of ENEA:
ENEA has 12 research groups working on different aspects along the battery value chain. The heart of the activities on new electrochemical storage systems and their characterization in both stationary and electric mobility applications have been conducted by two main groups:
ABI – Energy Storage, Batteries, And Hydrogen Production & Use Lab- mainly focused in:
- Advanced energy storage materials development aimed to: i) improve energy density, ii) better safety, iii) low cost, iv) high sustainability and v) improve cycle life and durability of batteries.
- Research on new electrolyte/electrode materials: polymer electrolytes, ionic liquids as electrolytes or additives; anodic and cathodic materials for Li-ion and post-Li-ion (such as Na-ion, SSB or Li|S); studies on greener and safer solution (e.g. aqueous binders).
- Development & optimization of component manufacturing (semi-automatic electrodes production, materials production scale-up) and manufacturing of lab-scale battery prototypes (setting up of new battery configurations)
- Characterization and testing of storage systems for mobile and stationary applications
TRL up to 5-6
STMS – Systems and Technologies for Sustainable Mobility - focused in:
- Activities on new technologies for low environmental impact vehicles and storage systems for automotive and stationary applications
- Battery systems testing and safety tests
- Charging systems for EVs & Fast charge
- Electric energy storage systems: Lithium batteries and/or Ultra capacitors
- Complete vehicles testing on rolling test benches
- Second life testing and assessment
- Development of predictive algorithms
TRL up to 7-8
Laboratories/Sites/Infrastructure at ENEA
- 30 m2 dry room.
- Chemical-physical characterization: SEM, X-ray diffractometer (possibility of in-situ measurements), thermogravimetry (DSC and SDT), impedance spectroscopy, measures of electrochemical stability window and cyclic voltammetry and measures of conductibility, density and reological properties @ different temperatures. Also EDX, BET, UV-Vis, GC.
- Electrochemical testing of prototypes and coin cell with battery testers (96 channels @ 40 A & 5 V; 8 channels @ 400 A & 80 V) and climatic chambers.
- Electrochemical testing of battery systems, module, cells. Battery cyclers (1 channel @ 600 A - 800 V 250 kW; 8 channels @ 400 A & 80 V) and climatic chambers.
- Safety testing: Casaccia FARO Plant for outdoor abuse tests (thermal and electric) up to 20 kg; IR termocamera and videocameras
Main contact: Margherita Moreno