Infrastructure for HYbrid Chemical and Electrochemical ES (HYCEES) of Centro de Investigaciones Energéticas, Medioambientales y Tecnológicas (CIEMAT) consists of two complementary installations:
- a Station for Autonomous Generation, equipped with two groups of photovoltaic panels of 1.5 k Wp and an emulator of wind turbine with a maximum power of 6 kW, providing a total power of 9 kW. Belonging to the same installation there is available also an electrolysis plant, with a hydrogen storage system and several H2 fuel cells. Dynamic load and batteries complete the energy generation and consumption cycle and
- a P2X facility which allows the hybrid, chemical (H2 & hydrocarbon fuels) and electrochemical (Pb batteries), storage of solar PV energy and consists of three photovoltaic panels with a total power of 0.9 kW which operate a PEM electrolyser to produce up to 1 Nl/min of H2 which reacts with CO2 in a dedicated unit to produce synthetic hydrocarbon fuels.
Services currently offered by the infrastructure:
- Validation and characterization of ES technologies: batteries, electrolyzers, hydrogen storage (P2X and hydrates) and power (fuel cells) systems in operational environment (TRL 4-7) and the integration of hydrogen cycle and renewables sources;
- Testing of fuel cells of less than 5 kW, hydrogen storage systems, batteries up to 48 V, small electrolysers up to 2 m3/h of hydrogen generation and
- Analysis of maintenance requirements of ES technologies when installing in realistic or operational environment.