MOlten SAlt facility for Thermal Energy Systems (MOSA) of Centro de Investigaciones Energéticas, Medioambientales y Tecnológicas (CIEMAT) test facility is composed by (A)
- an outdoor large-scale replica of a commercial two-tank thermal ES system with molten salts (40t of salt inventory)
- two indoor test benches (BES-II and BES-II) for testing small hydraulic components for molten salt circuits and
- a laboratory for studying the feasibility of storage materials for both sensible and latent heat.
The main advantage of this facility is that everything related to molten salt thermal storage systems can be tested in relevant conditions and subsequently extrapolated to large scale installations.
Services currently offered by the infrastructure:
- Testing of circuit components to be used in a molten salt environment;
- Optimization of operation procedures for two-tank storage systems under normal, risky and recovery conditions;
- Model validation and simulation approaches for molten salt thermal storage systems;
- Characterization of molten salt/oil heat exchangers;
- Characterization of thermocline tanks and
- Feasibility of materials for sensible and latent heat storage.